What are other ways to use a wooden toy chest?
1. I currently use my wooden toy chest as a place to store shoes in my front door. My toddlers will rummage through the shoes and find the pair to match. They will then close the lid of the toy chest and sit on it to begin putting on their shoes.
2. You can store your bed pillows in them just before going to bed. You already know those pillows that you always throw at the end of the bed or to the side because you don’t realistically use them, they are just decorative pieces in your home. If you have a wooden toy chest that you can place a cushion on top or in the opening of the lid, it would be the perfect decoration for any room in the house.
3. You can use a chest as a storage container for all your bags or purses. This is a great way to add some decor and flair to your collection. You can get a look that matches who you are, or you can even put fabric or a shawl over the toy chest. Toy chests come in different styles like boxed, traditional, classic, and even custom.
5. Men can keep all the different hats they collect that they don’t get rid of. My dad always collected hats throughout the many years of his life. He always says it builds character and his additional accessories, just like women wear hair ties or earrings.
6. A great way to hide junk mail, newspapers, or even magazines is to put them in the toy chest for storage. You can choose a small size wooden dresser and place it as a decorative piece in your kitchen, living room or even in the bathroom (instead of a magazine rack).
7. You can organize your clothes by season. You can change winter to spring or summer to fall by placing them in the wooden toy chest.
8. You can store your garden hose, your garden shovels or planters. You can also store outdoor toys, such as sliders, rakes, or plastic shovels, and place them in your building and garage to use for the next year. If you have a fire pit in your backyard, a great way to have some extra company would be the toy chest. This adds a unique and convenient way to make marshmallows and s’mores.
9. You can create a place to store your memories, such as pictures, albums, or even childhood memories. I know my kids get a lot of art project papers, coloring papers, and crafts that they completed in school, this is something you can use as a keepsake. You can place your wedding album, CD’s, videos or even the hospital bracelet from the birth of your child. This is the perfect keepsake chest!
10. Another great way to use the toy chest or chest is to remove the hinges from the top lid and make a clock to display on the wall. You can buy a watch that is quite cheap at a local retail store. You can go to your local craft store and buy weapons and numbers to create your own watch design. I have found Gorilla Glue to be the best type of glue when working with wood products.
11. A fun way to show off little one’s hands and feet is to have them dip them in washable paint and apply their own design to the wooden toy chest. You can create your own masterpiece while preserving the memories. This is a fun activity to get your kids involved. Every time you look at your masterpiece that you have created, it will bring you that moment in time.
12. Finally, you can cut it and use it as firewood for the winter or even in your fire in the summer. Before this, try donating it to your neighbor’s kids or to a local Goodwill.
There are a variety of ways you can use the wooden toy chest in your home if your toddler has outgrown theirs or if you are looking for a unique way to store items that don’t look like clutter.
My favorite and most creative way to repurpose the wooden toy chest is to remove the top lid from the hinges and glue a mirror around the inner shell. You can add flowers for a nice additional decoration. You can hang the upper part at the entrance of the house or at the bottom of the staircase. Place the base of the trunk underneath and add a beautiful potted plant for a stylish look.